Friday, January 13, 2012

Why am I doing this?

I am a 25 year old athlete, who also happens to be a cancer survivor.


That is the reason for this Crush Cancer Softball Clinic; to share my story, and bring awareness to the issue of cancer, at any age.

When I was diagnosed with cancer, I was terrified. The only association I had with cancer was a very negative one. I only knew of grandparents' being diagnosed with cancer. I did not know of other 20 year olds with cancer. I did not know what happened to 20 year olds who had cancer. I thought only of bad things happening to me.

Slowly, that negative perception of cancer was altered with the help of reality. I realized that it was likely I would beat cancer, and go on to live my life the way I wanted to. However, it was still a very lonely journey. I did not have too many stories of hope, and I did not have other individuals to relate to. I felt I was on my own.

I hope to get rid of that loneliness that so often accompanies a cancer diagnosis. I want others to see a story of hope. I want others to be able to share that they once met a vibrant 25 year old who also happened to be a cancer survivor.

I will continue to share my story, and present myself as a example of what can be after a cancer diagnosis.

Please help support my mission by signing up for the Crush Cancer Clinic.

The softball clinic is taking place on January 21st, at Caldwell College, from 10am-1pm. Other details can be found in blog posts below.

No comments:

Post a Comment